Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] Network interruption (rescheduled)

From: Eugene J. Geis (Eugene.Geis@asu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 20:22:00 EDT

is the phrase "ontological characteristics" redundant? could we simply refer to ontological
characteristics as a sort of individualistic ontology or is this computer's idiosyncrasies of a more
superficial nature that cannot necessarily be categorized into a metaphysical conceptual paradigm?

hmmm, interesting...

Quoting Nikolas Meitanis <nikolas@MIT.EDU>:

> Hello Ernie,
> perhaps the rest of us have accepted the ontological characteristics of
>
> the network with fatalistic complacency
> (and periodic trips to our mental consultants). I have certainly
> experienced such problems as Tavi intimated. In fact, in recent days
> (last month, maybe more), a rather frequent unapologetic "freezing" has
>
> become particularly aggravating. I suspect others connecting from MIT
> have experienced similar meltdowns.
>
> Ernie Bisson, MIT Bates Linear Accelerator wrote:
>
> >>I have lost my data continuously in the last month!
> >>I use former Baris' computer (spinspin) to log in to my bud (bud07).
> >>One run takes in average three days (I use only my bud, due to some
> >>settings to my env.). Last Saturday I was on shift, my data was lost,
> >>started it again, now, Monday: both runs:
> >>
> >> Read from remote host blast05: Connection reset by peer
> >> Connection to blast05 closed.
> >> <spinspin.lns.mit.edu:103>
> >>
> >>Since this was impossible to do it from UNH, it looks like it is
> >>impossible to do it from Bates also! Normally I loose my histograms,
> thus
> >>I have started printing all the data in order to be able to reproduce
> it
> >>later, but this doesn't work either! Do I have to use a special
> computer
> >>to stay connected?!
> >>

> >Tavi,
> >
> >Your most recent problems (Saturday and Monday) probably occured
> because of
> >problems we were having with the network switch blast05 is connected
> to. I
> >don't know if there had been problems with this switch before the last
> serveral
> >days. It's been replaced now, so that should no longer be a cause. To
> diagnose
> >problems you had earlier in the month I would need to know dates and
> times.
> >I've been unaware that you (or anyone else) had been periodically
> losing
> >their connections. The log files on blast05 indicate others my have as
> well,
> >but you have been the first to complain. In the future, please bring
> such
> >problems to my attention more promptly.
> >
> >Regardless, you should run your jobs in such a way that network
> disruptions
> >do to cause them to terminate. I asked Chris Crawford to E-mail you
> about
> >the best ways to do this in conjuction with data analysis.
> >
> >Ernie

Eugene Geis
PhD Student, Physics Department, ASU
Research Affiliate, MIT-Bates Laboratory of Nuclear Science
eugene.geis@asu.edu
http://quickreaction.blogspot.com