Re: Minutes of the 2006/03/22 Blast analysis meeting

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 18:16:52 EST

Hi Eugene,

I think you have shown that with ELOSS=off the average difference of pml,r
and pwl,r is consistent with zero. Moreover, pml,r (ELOSS=on) and pml,r
(ELOSS=off) should be identical since the eloss happens only along
tracking. Therefore, I thought it should be fine to just consider
pml,r-pwl,r for ELOSS=on to parameterize the momentum losses (as a
function of pwl,r).

You are right that it is a good idea to check if the same momentum loss
parametrization that you've already given also holds for the large bgrid.

On the shift of the elastic peak in MASCARAD-W: According to Chi, Mascarad
only calculates the radiation tail, but not the combination of unradiated
and radiated events. The radiation tail only starts off for radiated
photons of >10 MeV, therefore Mascard-tail is always shifted by at least
10 MeV. Convoluting the tail with finite resolution makes the observed
shifts even bigger. There seems to be a remaining issue on how to properly
combine the unradiated Epel with the radtail from Mascarad.

Regards,

    Michael

  On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Eugene J. Geis wrote:

> [...]
>> problem of
>>> how to make the admixture of pure elastic and radiate elastic yet.
>>>
>>> The bottom line is: without the resolutions, i.e. with the original
>> pml/r
>>> variables, there shall NOT have any shift. This is NOT the case if one
>>
>>> generates with MASCARAD channel alone in DGen. This will be the case
>> if the
>>> mixed channel of epel and mascarad is used but I do not know how to
>> interpret
>>> the results, both in terms of the cross section and asymmetries.
>>>
>>> we are comparing two cases:
>>> no shift originally + resolution = shift (Bill T's case)
>>> significant shift originally + resolution = more shift
>>> I am not convinced that we did not put ourself in the second case.
>>>
>>> Since we are trying to derive the kinematic corrections, which
>> themselves are
>>> at the order of couple tens of MeV, a 10MeV shift in the ORIGINALLY
>> TOSSED
>>> events is significant.
>>>
>>> Chi

>> resolution
>> one.
>> expected!!

>> would

>> electron
>> does
>> resolution

>> RAD+ELOSS)

>> "delta

>> the
>> ~10-15
>> on/off.
>> been
>> pml,r
>> pml,r-pwl,r

>> "impact
>> due to
>> but the

>> RAD+ELOSS)

>> careful
>> energy of

>> know
>> significant
>> some
>> this is
>> artifact

>> understand

>> generated

>> +-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
>> | Office: | Home: |
>> |-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
>> | Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
>> | Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
>> | MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
>> | Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
>> | U.S.A. | |
>> | - - - - - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - -|
>> | Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
>> | Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
>> | Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
>> | http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |

> Eugene Geis
> PhD Student, Physics Department, ASU
> Research Affiliate, MIT-Bates Laboratory of Nuclear Science

| Office: | Home: |