Re: Extraction of Radiative Correction to Elastic Peak and Separation of BLAST W-response from Radiation Tail

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 19:38:29 EDT

Hi Chris,

thank you very much for the elaborate explanations of your slides!

On your reported shift of the reconstructed unradiated events:
Am I right that you use Adrian's MC (=coda events) and analyze them with
the most recent lrn? If that's true, then the shift may be explainable:
Adrian's MC was generated before the geometry update; but you are using
up-to-date geometry for reconstruction.

One should generate a new MC with the latest calibrations and see if the
unradiated events reconstruct to the proton mass in the W spectrum.

Note that in Eugene's plots in blast_anaware from 3/23/2006 there was no
noticeable shift between unradiated reconstructed and tossed momenta
(plot attached, the black Gaussian is a fit to pwl-pml with Eloss and
Mascarad turned off).

Regards,

    Michael

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Christopher Crawford wrote:

> Here is a summary of my talk at the BLAST analysis meeting,
> http://blast.lns.mit.edu/PRIVATE_RESULTS/USEFUL/ANALYSIS_MEETINGS/meeting_060419/rad_blast-2006-04-19.ppt
> . Since it caused some controversy, I am including extra details so anyone
> interested can verify my arguments. I have tried to present it in a more
> coherent manner, and I apologize in advance for the length of it, but please
> read it in full before responding.
>
> I. Mascarad Radiative Tail
> A. Kinematics -- inelasticity v = W^2 - M^2, W^2 = M^2 + 2 M \nu -
> Q^2. The two other photon variables (tau, phi_k) are integrated over.
> B. Cutoffs -- In integrating the radiative tail, there are two cutoffs in
> 'v' to consider:
> 1) Upper cutoff, used to match the experimental cuts.
> 2) Lower cutoff, used historically to avoid the infrared divergence
> (copious soft photon emission). This cutoff is now avoided in MASCARAD by
> proper renormalization, in which the infinite vertex correction (I.C.2) at
> the pole cancels the divergent integral of the tail at low v (I.C.3).
> However, because the infinities are in different places, they only cancel in
> the integral over 'v'. Therefore, in a Monte Carlo generator, the elastic
> pole must also include the radiative tail up to some low cutoff 'v', which
> should be less than the BLAST resolution.
> C. Details -- MASCARAD calculates the cross section in different parts:
> 1) the Born (tree level) amplitude.
> 2) virtual elastic -- contribution to the elastic cross section (same
> kinematics) from vertex corrections and loop diagrams.
> 3) the soft radiative part -- basically the part same as used in Mo &
> Tsai. This includes the infrared divergent part.
> 4) finite radiative correction -- the remaining contributions to the
> exact calculation of the radiative tail. This part is a function of \vec
> p_k, the photon 3-momentum. It is actually a small negative correction to
> (3), and cannot be used alone. (see values in attachment)
> D. Cross section -- Mascarad outputs one final number: delta(v) =
> (integral of radiative cross section from elastic peak up to 'v') / (Born
> cross section). The radiative invariant mass spectrum including the tail
> equals: sigma_Born * d(delta)/d(v), (after transforming to W). Discretely,
> delta(v0)=pole+soft photons<v0; delta(v1)-delta(v0) = first bin of tail,
> etc. This is the blue fill histogram in slide 2. The pole (100x greater
> than the first bin of the tail) is omitted, but its area is equivalent to the
> yellow fill histogram. I attached a data-file of delta(v) for 5 Q^2 bins.
> It was generated by adding two parts: delta_soft(v) (I.C.1-3) calculated on
> the same grid, and delta_hard(v) (I.C.4) calculated on a much coarser grid to
> save computation time.
>
> II. BLAST Invariant Mass Spectrum
> A. Data -- shown as the black histogram, simply a plot of W from the
> elastic data with the minimal cut of "qwl==-1 && qwr==1 && 25 < twl && twl <
> [...]

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Office: | Home: |
|-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
| Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
| Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
| MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
| Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
| Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
| Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
| Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
| http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |