Re: [BLAST_WCH] Wire target installed for WC calibration

From: James Kelsey (jkelsey@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 11:06:09 EDT

Karen et al,

The wire target is extremely fragile therefore we should take several
precautions. I think it is important that the first time we run this there
are senior people on shift so that we can fine tune wire target position
to obtain best results for the detectors. I think the procedure will be:
- The wire target will be pulled out of position for injection and
reinserted
afterword. This will protect the wire from injection misalignment.
- Storage should proceed as normal until operations has a stable well
aligned stored beam.
- Operations in close contact with experimenters should move wire target
into halo of beam until experimenters confirm that they are seeing the
signals
that they want. The movement should be in very small (1/2 mm) increments
so as to not expose the wire target to any more beam than necessary. It is
also important in this step that the experimenters have everything running
properly so that there is not a report of no signal when in fact something
just
isn't turned on or being monitored.

Once the position is identified the wire target can be moved out for
injection
and back to data taking position for every fill. IF the wire target is
broken
then we need to re-evalute this procedure before we proceed with the
second wire. Replacement of the wire targets is on the order of 1 day.

Any comments or questions are appreciated.

Jim Kelsey