Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] Network interruption (rescheduled)

From: Ernie Bisson, MIT Bates Linear Accelerator (BISSON@aesir.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 15:21:48 EDT

>I have lost my data continuously in the last month!
>I use former Baris' computer (spinspin) to log in to my bud (bud07).
>One run takes in average three days (I use only my bud, due to some
>settings to my env.). Last Saturday I was on shift, my data was lost, I
>started it again, now, Monday: both runs:
>
> Read from remote host blast05: Connection reset by peer
> Connection to blast05 closed.
> <spinspin.lns.mit.edu:103>
>
>Since this was impossible to do it from UNH, it looks like it is
>impossible to do it from Bates also! Normally I loose my histograms, thus
>I have started printing all the data in order to be able to reproduce it
>later, but this doesn't work either! Do I have to use a special computer
>to stay connected?!

Tavi,

Your most recent problems (Saturday and Monday) probably occured because of
problems we were having with the network switch blast05 is connected to. I
don't know if there had been problems with this switch before the last serveral
days. It's been replaced now, so that should no longer be a cause. To diagnose
problems you had earlier in the month I would need to know dates and times.
I've been unaware that you (or anyone else) had been periodically losing
their connections. The log files on blast05 indicate others my have as well,
but you have been the first to complain. In the future, please bring such
problems to my attention more promptly.

Regardless, you should run your jobs in such a way that network disruptions
do to cause them to terminate. I asked Chris Crawford to E-mail you about
the best ways to do this in conjuction with data analysis.

Ernie